Notes about the JD this year



Clarno to Cottonwood - About 70 miles


June 20-25th


It is a high water year, expect flows to be around 5000 CFS. Makes for easy rowing and mediocre fishing. Also, be prepared for a survival type experience with the coolest dampest spring on record. Cool weather gear and rain gear is a must!

Friday, March 27, 2009

JD Thoughts

Time to start thinking about the JD. First thing is for everyone to re-confirm that they are indeed coming and how many people of adult or child persuasion they are bringing. So, please confirm by commenting on this post.

Next thing is to get a list of boats. Here's what I have so far.
Browns: one raft one driftboat capacity - 7
Fullers/Grims: one driftboat - capacity - 3
Rosenberg: one driftboat - capacity - 3
Hallas: one raft - capacity - 4
Haidars: one inflatable canoe - capacity 2

Please let me know if things is different than what I have spelled out above.

The browns will probably need to rent a second raft as we have at least 9 people, and we don't want to overload the boats if we can help it. Raft rental will be 300-350 (Mom, Dad, and Sachi, I thought we could split this 3 ways if that works for you).

Also, here are three organizational roles that need filling: shuttle organizer, meal organizer, and kitchen assembler. They are just like what they sound like, if someones were to volunteer for these roles, that would be great.

Shuttle planner will be responsible for figuring out what cars are going, getting the license plate, make, model, year, etc. and arranging for a shuttle for the cars. I have all the contact info that person would need. We don't actually need to get the shuttle arranged until mid-May, so there's time.

Meal organizer will make assign meals to people using whatever scheme strikes their fancy. Also will organize beverages and water (I will help with the water).

Kitchen assembler plans the kitchen pots pans stoves and how to pack it up so we have everything we need.

Snowpack in the JD Basin is about 94% of average, so I give us a 60% chance of being able to do the section we wand during the week we want. Otherwise we go the the Grand Ronde, which would be fun too.

2 comments:

  1. I am reconfirming my doubleplus commitment (for one person).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam and I can do meal organizing...I'm sure he won't mind! (I'll check with him when he's back from Europe on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete